NOTE: The genome sequence and annotation for O. volvulus are updated in Ensembl Metazoa approximately once per year. The data here correspond with WormBase WS279. For the latest genome and annotation, please visit WormBase ParaSite (for an Ensembl-oriented view), or WormBase.
About Onchocerca volvulus
Onchocerca volvulus is a gonochoristic filarial nematode parasite of humans causing Onchocerciasis. Onchocerciasis, or River Blindness, is a neglected tropical disease (NTD) which affects over 37 million people, mainly in Africa. It is a severely debilitating disease, which is transmitted to humans by the bite of Simulium blackflies that live and breed near fast-flowing streams and rivers.
- O. volvulus resources at WormBase ParaSite.
- O. volvulus resources at WormBase.
- O. volvulus resources at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
- Information on onchocerciasis from the CDC.
- African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control (APOC).
Taxonomy ID 6282
Data source WormBase
This species currently has no variation database. However you can process your own variants using the Variant Effect Predictor: